Author of Courageous Edventures
Jennie Magiera is the Global Head of Education Impact at Google, the Corwin bestselling author of Courageous Edventures and the founder and president of the non-profit organization, Our Voice Alliance, whose mission is to elevate marginalized voices and perspectives to improve equity & empathy in education. Previously, she was the Chief Program Officer at EdTechTeam, the Chief Innovation Officer for the Des Plaines Public School District 62, the Digital Learning Coordinator for the Academy for Urban School Leadership, and a Chicago Public Schools teacher. Jennie uses her classroom experiences to inform her work supporting educators to create new and better opportunities for their students. She believes that despite the many challenges facing schools today, every classroom can be a place for “edventures”: student-centered, passion-based experiential learning. Her work centers around acknowledging problems and finding innovative ways to navigate them so as to allow teachers and students dive into these classroom edventures.
Jennie is also passionate about reimagining professional learning to facilitate more relevant teacher support. She has served on the Technical Working Group for the US Department of Education’s National Educational Technology Plan, helped develop the Dynamic Learning Project, and co-founded various conference concepts such as PLAYDATE and Teachers for Tomorrow. She has been recognized for her work as an Obama White House Champion for Change, Chicago Public Schools Innovator of the Year, TEDx Speaker, Golden Apple Teacher of Distinction, Apple Distinguished Educator, Google for Education Certified Innovator, and featured on various programs such as NBC’s Education Nation, C-SPAN’s Reimagining Education and NPR.
Jennie shares her experiences taking risks in the classroom and helping others to feel comfortable doing the same in her book, Courageous Edventures. You can follow her on Twitter at @MsMagiera and learn more about her work and her book at bit.ly/edventuresbook.
Jennie is a graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy and has earned a BA in psychology and history from Columbia University and a MS from University of Illinois at Chicago in Mathematics Education. She currently lives in Chicago, IL with her husband Jim, toddler Lucy, and miniature schnauzer Lucky. (And no, she didn’t realize until after her daughter was born that she accidentally named her dog and child names that are only one letter different.)
Contact / Info...
- 2020: U.S. Department of Education’s 2020 National Educational Technology Plan (NETP) technical working group member - personalized PD design focus
- 2019: ISTE Impact Award winner, Lead for ISTE Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative
- 2018: Columbia University Barnard Education Program guest lecturer
- 2017: ISTE mainstage keynote speaker, Pahara Institute NextGen fellow, Founded student empowerment nonprofit Student Voice Foundation
- 2016: Best-selling author of Courageous Edventures published by Corwin Press
- 2015: U.S. Department of Education’s 2017 National Educational Technology Plan (NETP) technical working group member, TEDx Speaker, Center for Digital Education’s Top 30 Technologists, Transformers & Trailblazers
- 2014: Finalist – BAMMY Awards Innovator of the Year (also in 2012)
- 2013: Honored by President Barack Obama as a White House Champion of Change for Connected Education, Co-Founded the PLAYDATE Conferences, MERLOT Classics award winner, Named #17 of 100 Top Experts in #eLearning and #EdTech
- 2012: CPS Technology Innovator of the Year, Google Certified Innovator, Google Education Trainer
- 2011: Apple Distinguished Educator, Golden Apple Foundation Award Winner: Teacher of Distinction, University of Chicago Center for Elementary Math and Science Education fellow
- Books: Courageous Edventures (Book), Corwin Press, September 2016 (current Corwin Best Seller)
- Blogs: Education Week (Blog): Teaching Toward Tomorrow, Teaching Like It’s 2999 (Blog)
- Articles / Contributions: Leading Online (iBook), chapter contribution. Jan 18, 2014, White House Champions of Change (Blog): "Gaining Global Perspective through Technology", 2013
- Podcasts: EdReach’s Mobile Reach (Podcast) - host
- Curriculum: McGraw-Hill Everyday Mathematics curriculum writer, iTunes U Courses
Television and Radio Spots...
- WTTW Chicago Tonight: "Connected Education Impacts Chicago Public Schools" January 8, 2014
- NPR/WBEZ: "Kids Teaching Tech" Audio from Broadcast, Article with Transcript. October 21, 2013
- NBC Education Nation: "What It Takes: Innovation - Lessons From Tech" October 7, 2013
- C-SPAN3 and NBC Education Nation: Teacher Discussion with Secretary of Ed Arne Duncan and Chris Paul. Reimagining Education Conference with US Dept of Ed and MacArthur Foundation. May 28, 2013
- Daily Whale: "Q+A with Jennie Magiera" January 6, 2014
- USA Today: "Obama's day: Technology in Education" November 21, 2013
- Common Sense Media: "10 Reasons Why Connected Educator Month Lived Up to the Hype" November 5, 2013
- RiFFs - The Expert Interview Series of the Digital Media & Learning Research Hub: "A Few Moments with Jennie Magiera: Innovating Classrooms, Schools and Teacher Learning" July 1, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "Debating iPads or Chromebooks for 1:1? Why not both?" June 6, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "Teachers List the Very Best Apps for Turning Your iPad Into a Collaborative Device" May 9, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "The iPads in Education Conference That's Not About iPads" March 13, 2013
- U.S. Department of Education Blog: "From Digital Doubter to Tech Guru" February 6, 2013
- EdSurge: "How a Teacher Morphed from Tech Novice to Expert" February 6, 2013
- Video spotlight: "Jennie Magiera"
- Excellence in Governance and School Leadership: "Transformative Teaching Practices" October 4, 2011