Technology + Education + Passion = Wow. I believe that the classroom should reflect the world for which we are preparing our students. If we are asking them to create, innovate and be outstanding as graduates entering a terrifying job market, then our classrooms should be creative, innovative and outstanding places to learn. Everyday. Period.
My passions are building student agency, engaging educators solve problems of practice and helping both adults and students rediscover playtime. I am also excited about about transforming professional learning, serving on the Technical Working Group for the US Department of Education’s National Educational Technology Plan and co-founding PLAYDATE and other PD concepts. I have been fortunate to be honored as a TEDx speaker, White House Champion for Change, Apple Distinguished Educator, Google for Education Certified Innovator, Google Education Trainer and CPS’ 2012 Tech Innovator of the Year. You can find me on Twitter at @MsMagiera.
Contact / Info...
- Co-Founder of PLAYDATE
- White House Champion of Change: Connected Educators, 2013
- #17 of 100 Top Experts in #eLearning and #EdTech
- MERLOT Classics Award Winner, 2013
- Chicago Public Schools Tech Innovator of the Year, 2012
- BAMMY Award - Innovator of the Year - Finalist, 2012, 2014
- Google Certified Teacher, 2012
- Apple Distinguished Educator, 2011
- University of Chicago - Center for Elementary Math and Science Education: Summer Fellow, 2011
- Golden Apple Teacher of Distinction, 2008, 2011
- CUE Lead Learner for Google Teacher Academy - GTAMTV2012, GTACHI2013
- Education Week Blog: Teaching Toward Tomorrow
- Leading Online (iBook), chapter contribution. Jan 18, 2014
- WhiteHouse.gov Champions of Change Blog post: "Gaining Global Perspective through Technology" November 26, 2013
- Education Week: "An Innovative Classroom Requires More Than Rearranging Desks" January 21, 2013
- Education Week: "Fighting Teacher Isolation with Technology" May 29, 2013
- EdReach's Mobile Reach Podcast - host
- McGraw-Hill MHExchange: "Quick Tips for Finding and Using the Best Edu-Apps" February 12, 2013
- Appitic: "Teachers Rediscover Playtime" February 20, 2013
- iTunes U Course: "Map Your PD Pathway"
- iTunes U Course: "Digital Differentiation via Video"
- Education Week: "Five Tips for Supporting the iPad Classroom" November 7, 2012
- Appolicious: "Workflow Apps to Manage Student Work" October 1, 2012
- Appolicious: "Screencasting Smackdown" September 10, 2012
- Education Week: "Bionic PD" May 15, 2012
- Education Week: "Ed Tech Integration is a Low Bar" February 15, 2012
- Education Week: "Redefining Instruction with Technology: Five Essential Steps" January 25, 2012
Television and Radio Spots...
- WTTW Chicago Tonight: "Connected Education Impacts Chicago Public Schools" January 8, 2014
- NPR/WBEZ: "Kids Teaching Tech" Audio from Broadcast, Article with Transcript. October 21, 2013
- NBC Education Nation: "What It Takes: Innovation - Lessons From Tech" October 7, 2013
- C-SPAN3 and NBC Education Nation: Teacher Discussion with Secretary of Ed Arne Duncan and Chris Paul. Reimagining Education Conference with US Dept of Ed and MacArthur Foundation. May 28, 2013
- Daily Whale: "Q+A with Jennie Magiera" January 6, 2014
- USA Today: "Obama's day: Technology in Education" November 21, 2013
- Common Sense Media: "10 Reasons Why Connected Educator Month Lived Up to the Hype" November 5, 2013
- RiFFs - The Expert Interview Series of the Digital Media & Learning Research Hub: "A Few Moments with Jennie Magiera: Innovating Classrooms, Schools and Teacher Learning" July 1, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "Debating iPads or Chromebooks for 1:1? Why not both?" June 6, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "Teachers List the Very Best Apps for Turning Your iPad Into a Collaborative Device" May 9, 2013
- T.H.E. Journal: "The iPads in Education Conference That's Not About iPads" March 13, 2013
- U.S. Department of Education Blog: "From Digital Doubter to Tech Guru" February 6, 2013
- EdSurge: "How a Teacher Morphed from Tech Novice to Expert" February 6, 2013
- Video spotlight: "Jennie Magiera"
- Excellence in Governance and School Leadership: "Transformative Teaching Practices" October 4, 2011